Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Trial had been a success, so my father had a celebration in our garden. We had not had a celebration since before my brother slept, and my mother finally remembered her face. Her wings had begun to return, too. Meredith's family arrived early-- our fathers were both old men. Her dresses looked pale and comfortable, thier buttons replaced with teeth and her budding wings were draped gently on her shoulders. I took her to show her where I had buried the tree she gave me. We walked in silence past the stable, passing our hands to the new guests. Meredith looked at the Bishop, who was smiling. She smiled, too. Meredith's teeth looked white and round beneath her lips. I wanted to take them all out with my throat. I heard my horse dancing behind us, but I did not mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home