Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A trial came Thursday, and my father wore his mask. The whole town would be there, and so we soaked our lips in wax that morning. Soon I would wear a new hat, but it was not that time yet. The trials were long and never exciting, but it would be nice to see Meredith and Cline and perhaps gather teeth on the way home. In town, everyone spilled their words on the wood, and Frank had to mop them. Frank's mop was louder than anyone's and he collected the language to be heard. I saw my Uncle Wendell standing behind a man that might have been my father, but I could not tell because of his mask. I searched for Meredith, but she may have been swimming that morning.

Cline kicked me in the ass and slapped my shoulder. I spun around quickly and he smiled. Cline wore a new hat and I turned orange when I saw it. His hat curved and stretched to the past, and its brim was bright and angled. It smelled new. Come on, he said, I have something to show you.

We walked quickly away from the Square, and my heart began to cry. I felt as though I had to eat, or maybe die. Cline picked up his cloak so his feet would move faster and grow no roots. The asphalt burned my feet, so I ran, too. Soon, the Square grew small and old; we were almost to the Lake. Hurry! he squelched. I could feel the glass thicker underfoot. Travis pushed me down, but I started breathing red for him. Cline ran faster ahead, his large feet whimpering loudly. Then, in the distance, under the canopy-- I saw a traveler approach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home